By Heather Agun, Edited by Stephen Waltar and Becky Pearsall
*Created under the direct legal supervision of Stephen Waltar
Please see Disclaimer.
At Legacy Estate Planning in Bellevue, we’ve been getting the same two questions from our clients for a long time:
“How can my trustees and kids know how my plan works and what they need to do when I’m gone?
Can you help me explain it to them?”
“My friend or family member really needs to create a will or a trust. What should I say to them?
Can you help me explain it to them?”
We’ve heard you, and have planned two events this winter to meet your requests: a special Trustee School for clients and their family, and a Friends and Family Estate Planning Workshop to get your loved ones introduced to estate planning.
Friends and Family Special Estate Planning Workshop
We also have a special holiday Friends and Family Estate Planning Workshop coming up on December 5th, 2019. We’ve never done an event like this before, but have had so many requests for a way to introduce Estate Planning to their friends and family that we knew we had to create this event.
So, through the end of the year, we’ll offer a free initial consultation, and eligibility for a 20% discount on Estate Planning services, to those who attend the Friends and Family Workshop. If they can’t make it to the seminar but still want to meet, they can receive a free consultation and a 15% discount if they schedule an appointment before the end of the year. Make sure they reference the Friends and Family special holiday event when they call. (If you’ve attended our previous seminars, you know we’ve never offered more than a 5% discount. However, we’ve had a great year; so this holiday season we’re excited about giving back to our clients and their families!)
- Who can attend: non-clients who haven’t attended a seminar in the last year, AND haven’t been to more than 2 seminars are eligible to attend.
- How to register: follow this link to our registration page
- Who you should invite: Anyone in your life you think could benefit from learning about estate planning.
- Savings they’ll be eligible for: A 20% discount on Estate Planning services for seminar attendees. A 15% discount is available for those who want to plan but can’t make it to the seminar. (Law isn’t the kind of service that “goes on sale.” We’ve NEVER offered this discount for seminars before, but feel very motivated to give back this holiday season. Make sure your friends and family get in by the end of the year so they don’t miss this!)
- What they’ll learn:
- Why putting property in children’s names may be a mistake
- The advantages and disadvantages of Wills and Living Trusts
- How Probate works, and how you may be able to avoid it
- The right way to leave property to your children and protect it from their creditors and ex-spouses
- How you may be able to minimize Federal and Washington estate taxes
- How to protect assets from lawsuits, divorces and other claims
- How to provide for special needs children and grandchildren
- A primer on Medicaid planning
Share the Registration Page for the Friends and Family Estate Planning Workshop
Check out our related blog post: How Can I Help My Friends or Family Learn About Estate Planning?
Trustee School (Clients Only)
This event, on November 30th, 2019, is intended to help our clients educate their loved ones about their estate plan and the responsibilities of their Successor Trustees and various “Agents” listed throughout their plan. (These Agents include Successor Trustees, Power of Attorney Agents, and Personal Representatives.)
At this seminar, we’ll help answer the many questions your family or Successor Trustees have, including:
- The basics of Estate Planning
- What’s the difference between a Trustee and an Executor / Personal Representative?
- What Financial and Health Care Powers of Attorney Agents can and can’t do
- Responsibilities and duties of a Trustee, Agent, or Personal Representative
- Important things to know about the law
- Actions that should be taken in an emergency
- What your family / agents need to do if you become permanently incapacitated
- What family / agents need to do if you pass away
- Question and Answer Session
If you are a client, you can Register Here for Trustee School
Check out our related blog post: What Your Family Needs to Know About Your Will or Trust
*This blog post was written under the supervision of an attorney, Stephen M. Waltar, and all legal opinions shared are that of the attorney. See Disclaimer.
- Our Promise to You During COVID-19 - March 19, 2020
- Upcoming Events: NEW Client “Trustee School” and a “Friends & Family” Estate Planning Workshop in Bellevue (Winter 2019) - November 5, 2019
- What Your Family Needs to Know About Your Will or Trust - November 5, 2019